Wednesday 12 September 2012

Week one: The British Museum.


The wider world project begins with: The British Museum. 

This project has encouraged to me to explore new places, and become more active. The project offers a different activity which starts with The British Museum. I plan to attend all the activities, it'll be fun, I'll be able to take photographs, and I feel that it's allowing me to explore as an individual. Also, I'll receive a certificate at the end. :)

British Museum:
Today, a few friends and myself went to The British Museum. It’s been years since I last went, but going again was great! They provide so much information, about other countries and the history it holds. You can't walk out without knowing something new, it’s impossible. We first saw, the Rosetta Stone. The Rosetta Stone, which is housed in the British Museum, is a black slab with three languages on it (Greek, demotic and hieroglyphs) each saying the same thing. It's so interesting, how this stone has been preserved and revealed to the world. 

We also came across Mummies!  




I've always found mummies, and sacrifice really fascinating. Every one of the British Museum's mummies was once a living, breathing Egyptian's going about their everyday life - working, eating, sleeping, getting ill, spending time with their family. Studying these people's mummies tells us a lot about their lives. It explained mummification with diagrams of the process. It was quite weird, to see the bodies and how they decayed. 


We also came across the statue of Ramesses II, the 'Younger Memnon'. We then explored different cultures and countries as we went along. We came across different clothes, masks, and traditions. We also ended up having a deep conversation about the Greeks. There were a few sculptures; which portrayed men and woman fighting. We spoke about sexism and how woman are portrayed in the media and stereotypical domestic views. It allowed us to think about the past, and question if they were rebelling but also think about how things are in the present. Do we still face sexism?  


After an hour and a half, we went to the garden outside the museum. I was able to take photos of the different flowers, it was quite nice. :) I'm glad I went. It was really good, I don't know why it took me so long to visit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment