Wednesday 19 September 2012

Week two: Tate Modern.

It was my first time at the Tate Modern today. I really enjoyed it; I regret not going before hand. It was great to recognise art work, from different artists. I found it really inspiring, and I'll definitely go again to get inspired for future art work. A few friends and myself went around looking around at different pieces of art from paintings, videos and conceptual art. 

As we walked in, we were drawn to a sound of synchronised sounds. It sounded quite "angelic". It was very different but rather beautiful. We were intrigued to stop and listen to the voices and to watch them from above. I could see a mixture of young and older people. Some sitting, some standing but all of them with the same sounds. Even though I couldn't see much; it was quite crowded I felt like they were trying to communicate something. It had meaning, and I was interested to find out. After a while, they started running around, chasing each other. Some were running backwards, and skipping. 


I couldn't help but to research what it was about: They constructed a piece through human interaction, movement and sound. It was about transformation over a period of time, and the process of continuous change. We then went upstairs. 






We came across different pieces of art from various artists. Some were really interesting and eye-catching. While some others were really different, and quite confusing. But the meaning were quite fascinating. The definition allowed me to understand the work of art. It's not about the look of it, but about the meaning behind it. We came across a short film, made with puppets by Kara Walker. 'The Keys to the Coop'. At college, I'm looking at dolls and puppets. I'm going to research Kara Walker's work and perhaps use similar compositions and ideas to my art work. 
I'm really glad I went to the Tate, and I recommend everyone to go. :') 



No comments:

Post a Comment